» salt/fresh rod/reel to compliment tenkara rod
Username:
Password:
Remember Me

salt/fresh rod/reel to compliment tenkara rod
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
bkinsman
Posted on 19/06/2018 at 01:45 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Hi Guys!

My name's Ben, I live in Erskineville and I'm a total newbie to fly fishing..

Recently purchased a Tenkara rod to use whilst bike packing for locations like Colo/Hawkesbury, Lithgow, Blue mountains etc but in my research I've come to realise that the Tenkara setup is gonna be pretty much useless locally so I've got the itch to get a setup that I can use a bit closer to home.

I'd like be able to throw a line out at places like Cooks River, Rozelle, Manly Dam, Narrabeen Lake, Davidson Park, etc (pretty much anywhere I can ride my bike) just for a bit of fun (I know a lot of it will be inedible)

I'm thinking that a 6/7wt fresh/salt rod & reel might be the go, but from what I've been reading I may need heavier? Ideally a combo is best to start with I think (hope)...

Can anyone who knows the spots I've listed above give me some advice?

Ginko
View Profile
Posted on 20/06/2018 at 05:29 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Being land based, I'd say that the fish you'll be fighting won't be the determining factor (I have a 5 weight, and it is heavy enough to handle everything I've ever caught from land).

But your flies will determine the line weight, and therefore rod weight. For salt, there are times when you want to turn over something a bit bigger, but I'd say a 6 or 7 would be fine for 95% of the flies that you'll be using.

Also consider the practicality of riding in with a fly rod and it's impact on fishing fun. Most rod setups force you to dissemble the rod, and also remove the reel. It can take 10 minutes to get out the rod, set it up, feed the line through the eyes, tie on the fly put the case away, etc. And then you notice that you've missed an eye ...

I use a telescopic spin rod when I am hiking/biking - because it fits easily in my backpack and takes 5 seconds to get a line in the water. Perhaps there are ok telescopic fly rods too, I haven't really looked.

If you were in a boat, and tangling with kingies, then heavier would be appropriate - a minimum 8 weight but probably more.

Hope that helps!

stuartt
View Profile
Posted on 15/07/2018 at 02:15 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
A #5 weight would be heavy enough for bream and species you will find close to shore

Stuart
<'))))><
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | site by idfk | powered by GraphiteFORUMS™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2019 Sydney Flyfishing Tours