Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Bonitos: technique to set the hook
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
Ginko
View Profile
Posted on 01/02/2019 at 05:13 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Gents, I have been out chasing some bonitos that have been out in Pittwater . No worries to find them, nor really to get them to chase and take the fly. But i lost many today only a few seconds after the take.

I was fishing size 2/0 silver mustad straight hook with gummy 'eye' fly.

When the fish took the fly, i tried to keep the rod pointed at the fish and keep stipping line. The fish hung on, but seemed to turn to come straight at me, loosening the line and they were off immediately.

I also lost a fish by doing an accidental 'trout strike' raising the rod quickly and pulling the fly straight out of the bonito's mouth.

I did land one that took my fly as i sat idle, awaiting a bust up to cast at.
It made me think, am i applying too much pressure too soon with the stripping? Would i be better off to just wait for the fish to swim off and hook itself? I certainly cant strip faster than a bonito can swim!

Or perhaps a different hook?

Ideas welcome!

TH
Posted on 06/02/2019 at 10:34 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
I will have a crack at them tomorrow and see if there's anything I can help you with.
Booking a day out with Justin would sort you out very quickly.
Cheers

Ginko
View Profile
Posted on 10/02/2019 at 01:13 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
TH - how'd you go?

I'd love a day out with Justin - but will have to save up!

I was wondering if an offset on the hooks would help. I've noticed that, for bass, an offset greatly increases the hook-up rate. Their mouths are quite different than bonnies', but maybe the offset will still work? Also, I've "tied" a few minnows with much shorter tails - I wonder if the bonnies were just grabbing the tails and missing the hook.

My fishing diary indicates that the bonnies will be around for a while longer, and the reports of kings in the harbour are pretty frequent now. In previous years I've also picked up a few mack tuna in Feb/March , and they have been really good fighters.

Bill

TH
Posted on 10/02/2019 at 08:23 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Hi Bill,
We got a few bonnies and kings thanks.

The 2 things I would recommend are to drop your hook size and also try long strips so the fish can hit the fly with greater accuracy
For the gummies I use a much smaller hook. Size 4 or 6.

Cheers Tim

Ginko
View Profile
Posted on 11/02/2019 at 09:23 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User

Thanks Tim,

I was out today, but didn't have any luck finding any surface action - or any fish at all (in Pittwater) . I fished low to high tide without seeing a single bird dive or fish rise- I did try around BarrenJoey, and tied on a big yellow fly to trawl behind my kayak as I traveled out. On the way back in, I cast it in all along the sand, rocks, and weed, hoping a nice big flattie woud be lying in there. - but instead, the fly attracted two big calamari squid. They really really liked the yellow fly, but of course I could not hook them on the single hook. My attempts didn't dissuade the squid from attacking the fly again and again- they were much more aggressive to the yellow fly than any squid jig I've tried. So maybe next time I'll also carry a "squid fly" for such an occasion.

Bill

Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | site by idfk | powered by GraphiteFORUMS™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2019 Sydney Flyfishing Tours