Username:
Password:
Remember Me

rusted guides
  Page 1 of 2    « First   1   2   >   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
iki jimmy
View Profile
Posted on 30/01/2014 at 12:08 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
just after opinion here, a a little guidance

story goes - i busted the tip of my 2 piece rod a while back, took it to the shop i bought from as it was a shop build on sage blank. So it was sent to usa, then came back with a tip then sent to the shops rod builder to be built up (took 3 mths+ all up). then when they got it back at the shop i was asked to pay more money i think total i paid 160 - 180 for new tip?? i was told most of that was for the build. complained about the surprise cost, but coughed up and went fishing.

two problems

1.immediately the thread colour used was way off -lazy i thought but ok can live with that.

2 the big issue i now have is i pulled the rod out this season and the snake guides all along the new tip piece are all rusted at the feet. (note the original guides on this 10+ year old rod on the other original section still look new and have no rust marks at... so i suspect poor quality parts used on the sage tip)

naturally i want to complain and get it fixed at their cost as i feel i have been dudded, but before i do i wanted some opinions on if this is normal, do i have a leg to stand on?

has this happened on anyone else sage ?(factory build or "aussie shop build")

or is it fairly certain their builder did the wrong thing and used cheapo parts and i should be entitled to get it fixed/replaced with decent quality guides the type you'd expect to get on a sage rod?

might be 2-3 years back now but the rod has had very limited use over last 24 mths

thoughts?

thanks
grant

William
View Profile
Posted on 30/01/2014 at 03:56 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
What a bummer Grant It's not acceptable in my view.

I'm assuming the shop and rod repairer are local.

Since you have the original guides on the butt section for comparison I'd go back and ask them to decide for themselves if the quality of parts & workmanship is up to a standard they find acceptable. Give them a chance to decide to rectify on their own.

If they hit you with excusiology ask them which forums they prefer not to see macro-detailed pictures of their work posted on!?

The highest form of existence is play
Sam
View Profile
Posted on 30/01/2014 at 03:58 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Strange
I have a Reddington which had rusted guides, I put it down to insufficient washing in fresh. Actually only released when one broke. Took the rod to CA in the city, had all the guides replaced, took a while but a wonderful job with ss guides now. Cost $70
Happy and not Happy
Happy with the job done by CA
Not happy with Reddington, the Guides should last and last and they did not.
Sam

The gods do not deduct from man's alloted span the hours spent fishing
Bluecod
Posted on 31/01/2014 at 10:35 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
I agree with William - inexcusable to use cheap guides on a quality product. If it was an Eprey special then understandable.

Two issues that immediately crop up.

1. it is quite likely, particularly if the shop is one of the smaller ones, that they have changed rod repairers for whatever reason.

2. I've heard that Sage has had 'problems' with the quality of guides supplied by their former supplier [high end product] and have now changed supplier. It is possible [although I'm not saying it is likely] that your shop got a batch of the high-end product that failed Sage's QC.

Either way the shop should come good, but I betcha they'll try and put the blame on the user [you] for inadequate maintenance.

In case this doesn't go the way you want it to, contact Sage and see if they can provide guide and colour scheme details. It is unlikely that you will get a thread die lot that will match exactly particularly when you factor thread fading and epoxy yellowing into the equation, so to get it perfect you might be looking at a complete rebind.

Sam, Unusual - I've got half a dozen or so Redingtons and have not had a problem with any of the guides even though some of them may not get the attention to detail when cleaning that I give my Sage rods.

Cheers,

George
iki jimmy
View Profile
Posted on 02/02/2014 at 01:04 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
The bottom guide on the tip section fell out today epoxy and thread parted - bummer, lucky Kurt was nice enough to lend his 8 weight

might temp fix it until end of the season and go and test the shop after so no to miss the fishing as onl just got the boat ready for the water again

iki jimmy
View Profile
Posted on 02/02/2014 at 01:45 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Here is the 15 year old original vs the newer guides

William
View Profile
Posted on 03/02/2014 at 05:02 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Grant that's pathetic hey! I'd be cranky too.

From the pics the thread colour could actually be the same but maybe colour preserver was used on the repair bindings because they seem brighter where there's no rust.

Just a theory - there is a school of thought that colour preserver (which prevents the epoxy from penetrating the binding thread) actually creates a pocket where water can penetrate and stay in contact with the guides. Fly rod snakes have a habit of developing little crack right where the guide enters the epoxy - because there is a lot of flex in a fly rod and the epoxy is kept to a minimum to save weight.

Anyway to cut a long story short - those guides might be the right quality - they don't seem rusted except where the feet were buried under the binding (in a pocket of saltwater) - so instead of the guides it may actually be the bindings with CP that may be the problem.

I don't know how true it is and I've never bothered to do a test - I simply avoid colour preserver and happen to like the more translucent look where epoxy has penetrated. I also like to put an extra "glob" of epoxy just under where the foot enters the binding - look terrible but sure helps keep water out. I'll post a pic when I have time.

If you get new guides and thread I'm quite happy to help out with redoing those guides for you.

The highest form of existence is play
iki jimmy
View Profile
Posted on 04/02/2014 at 09:47 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Good info thanks William, and thanks for the offer to assist
Ill see what the shop says and see what my options are then
Cheers
Grant

iki jimmy
View Profile
Posted on 29/05/2014 at 05:19 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
UPDATE RESULT -- sort of ...
well after thinking i was getting a warranty job they slugged me $15 today - reasoning as i didnt buy through current shop owner, and i got the tip before the salesman time --what could he do.. fair enough maybe -but i mean it still has the shop logo / decal under the resin

so this sage "tip" with "xxxx fly tackle store custom build job" has now cost me $175.. and thats just the tip.

$ 80 to get the broken bits to USA and get a new tip back then $80 for the build here in australia. yeash its a 1999 or so model ... and yes i have got my use out of it. but still the tip that had the guides come off is only around 2 years old

check the photos i think its an ordinary job , looks like it was just jammed back in under the old thread and expoxied... the resin is rough around the foot, and there seems to be some skin off the blank and discolouration of it next to the other guide foot that was redone? hope its not going to snap on me !

not happy jan - but what do you do?

maybe get another rod? and a factory build at that?

anyway can anyone tell me - can you strip it all off guides binding and resins and get a mate to do it without damaging the blank? (thanks eddie)

iki jimmy
View Profile
Posted on 29/05/2014 at 05:20 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
another angle.. you can see its lumpy and still has the same dirty / rusted thread

iki jimmy
View Profile
Posted on 29/05/2014 at 05:20 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
one more

Page 1 of 2    « First   1   2   >   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | site by idfk | powered by GraphiteFORUMS™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2019 Sydney Flyfishing Tours