» New forum member & Flex Calamari advice
Username:
Password:
Remember Me

New forum member & Flex Calamari advice
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
renegade_flyfisher
Posted on 30/10/2014 at 10:02 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Joined this forum after reading the great advice on patterns and new products that members are using, and also targeting similar species here in Auckland. 40 years freshwater experience and have done a few salt fly trips - Los Roques and Andros Island - chasing bones. I've geared up with a Beulah Bluewater 10/11 + Colton reel for Kings and and Sage Xi2 + Lamson for the smaller beasts.
I would appreciate advice/links to tying the EP Flex Calamari - best colours and sizes ? What bait fish patterns are the most successful on kings ?

RFF
iki jimmy
View Profile
Posted on 30/10/2014 at 12:27 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
welcome renegade

not sure where the recipie is for teh EP calimari -- think you need to pay $20 pa to enrico for access to that stuff.

anyway its a few.. say 3 hollow ties ( bop pop style on a shank / or tube that connects to the hook ).. the last hollow ties should cover the top of the hook add some leg, i dub a ball first down near the bend then tie the legs so they splay out a little and move / pulse in between trips .( Enrico uses something like clear hot orange tipped silli legs or similar, but saddle /hackle feathers with a little flash works too) on the hook dub and clip a head .. stick on eyes and go fishing

over here they eat a lot of anchovy on the surface in summer so tiny eyes flies to medium sized surf candies do well
i also found they like yellow poppers, other sue gurglers and crease flies too

sometime something big and ugly saves the day , big flashy profile or bit baitfish pattern

MJ here is an expert at deep dredging for them with a big ass synthetic clouser

cheers and dont forget to show us some pics of the big NZ kings
grant

Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | site by idfk | powered by GraphiteFORUMS™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2019 Sydney Flyfishing Tours