Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Switch rods for Luderick
  Page 1 of 2    « First   1   2   >   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
Peter D
View Profile
Posted on 18/11/2015 at 10:07 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Hi,

After using a switch rod in Canada for Silver Salmon, I am a convert, for the right type of fishing. I am thinking they would be great for luderick off the rocks. Any thoughts on what weight might be best? I am leaning towards a 7wt, but it would be great to hear from those who have caught a few on fly, even if on a 9 footer.

Thanks

Peter

Sam
View Profile
Posted on 19/11/2015 at 05:42 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
I have fished for blackfish off the rocks a number of times and distance has never been the issue.

but would a switch rod work off the beach? I can only think its got to be great.

Very interesting

Sam

The gods do not deduct from man's alloted span the hours spent fishing
Peter D
View Profile
Posted on 22/11/2015 at 09:07 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
I am sure they would Sam. Lots of opportunities.

William
View Profile
Posted on 27/11/2015 at 10:15 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Peter, just check the line rating. Some switches use double hander spey ratings so the 7wt would be equivalent to a 9wt in normal single hander terms.

I tried an 11'3" double hander for rock species several years ago and found it a little unwieldy for close in work. But it is spot dependent. If you have a wash at your feet with water falling off the ledge a SH rod is better. If you want to cover a wash on a bommie that sits out away from a ledge a DH or switch I would be great - you'd be able to snatch away from a wave and present back in the zone immediately.

I bought a SH 10' 8wt rod that I thought would cover both situations but have actually never got round to trying it. For luderick I now know an 8wt is somewhat of an overkill, but for black drummer it might be nice.

Let me know when you want to hit the stones - I'd be keen. You can try my DH if you like.

The highest form of existence is play
Peter D
View Profile
Posted on 29/11/2015 at 07:35 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Hi William,

That sounds good. It would be great to have some company. The next few weekends are not great for me, but I am on leave and around Sydney for a couple of weeks over Christmas. Got a few spots I'd like to try.

Will be in touch.

Peter

William
View Profile
Posted on 20/01/2016 at 12:31 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Peter, we probably should ask George where the luderick are at this time of year - before he forgets everything

Bluecod
Posted on 20/01/2016 at 01:22 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
They're in the water around the rocky headlands William .... ocean!

Speaking of luderick, I got one the other day, off the beach, on conventional tackle using nippers as bait whilst fishing for whiting

Cheers,

George
William
View Profile
Posted on 03/06/2016 at 11:48 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
George, if the coming rain busts Narrabeen open, will the luderick come on quickly or does it take a few weeks / months?

Bluecod
Posted on 10/06/2016 at 10:20 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
From what I've been seeing William, they are very much water temp dependant on when they start their annual spawn run and come into the estuaries in any numbers.

The season started late last year due to high water temps and this year is shaping up to be the same. Ocean temps up here a week ago were still unseasonally high and very few of the local fish had come in from the ocean prior to the rain .... but the run had started. The past week has seen the water an unpleasant chocolate colour that is only just starting to clear now ... even with the large high tides ... and very little fishing has been done by the local luderick fishermen. Some fresh luderick fillets are starting to appear at the local fishing co-op but prices for them are high, suggesting that they are still few and far between .... unless the proprietor is gouging his customers [which wouldn't surprise me at all].

With the lake open, the resident lake fish should be moving down to where they should be so it would be worth a shot on half tide up to the full ... you can only give it a go and see what's happening down there.

Cheers,

George
William
View Profile
Posted on 03/09/2016 at 10:14 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Peter, I'm still keen on this - just tied a batch of flies.

Bluecod
Posted on 09/09/2016 at 03:54 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Have they fired up down there in the lake at all William? The season up here was short although a few very nice fish were taken on conventional tackle. Currently it looks like they're moving back out of the estuary system and although I've had a couple of goes with the fly, I've done better for them with soft plastics. Apart from a couple of days when the swell has been low the oceanside rocks have been out of the equation as well

Cheers,

George
  Page 1 of 2    « First   1   2   >   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | site by idfk | powered by GraphiteFORUMS™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2019 Sydney Flyfishing Tours