Username:
Password:
Remember Me

A Lesson In Humility
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
beerie
View Profile
Posted on 06/12/2009 at 09:39 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
In late November I embarked on my last northern fishing trip for 2009, so after a quick flight from Sydney to Cairns and an even quicker bus ride to Elarish the last leg to The Mudbrick Manor in Cardwell was courtesy of Dave Bradley with a short stop off in Tully to pick up the Pearl. That afternoon was spent rigging up fly lines, leaders and customising some special crab flies to match the Hinchinbrook Hatch while drinking one or two beers.

Most of the six days on the water were spent on the flats around Hinchinbrook chasing the elusive snub nose dart. On past adventures to Northern Queensland have been blessed in the pursuit of these fussy eaters, with four hook ups and one fish boated with less than four days on the water to achieve this. However this tale is not about a victory it has turned out to be a story of woe, despair, heartbreak and thousands of casts in vein.

As usual Dave came through with the goods on the flats of the Seamore River he regularly put me in front of fish either on the move or tailing. Day one I was full of confidence and a fish was hooked I had followed all of Dave’s instructions to the letter. However while applying pressure with the rod and starting to feed line out, so as to get the fish on the reel the red mist came down over my eyes and Captain Stupid just had to have another tug on the line and what do you know the combination of determined fish, 14lb tippet and the idiot holding the rod and the fish of a life time is busted off. Neither of us spoke for the next hour and a half and it is a little hard to get some personal space when the boat is only about seventeen foot long. Ok it is only the beginning of the trip things will turn around. For the rest of the day Dave chased, I cast, fish looked, leaned and even swallowed; but I was unable to get a hook set. This unfortunately remained the trend with the Permit for the rest of the trip. As the only thing that I could hit, graze or puncture with a hook was myself, due to the fact that my casting ability evaded me for the rest of the time spent on the flats.

The tide turned and it was time to try something completely differently and the guide’s idea lifted my spirits with the suggestion of going up the Herbert River in search of Tarpon. To this point I have not had the opportunity to hook a Poon and when it happened I found out that all the stories of the power that these fish can exert at the bit is very true. After setting the hook on the retrieve I went for another tug on the line and the line was ripped out of my stripping hand and before I knew it this sucker was already on the reel and taking line, after multiple jumps and runs this fine sports fish was in the boat covering everything in sight with slim as they do. At over fifty centimetres, this fish was not a bad start to a new addiction Chasing Silver.

The other Silver Things also came into the boat from the mangroves of Hinchinbrook Island and the best Barramundi that came out of the shallow water for a photo session was over seventy centimetres. As well as another Poon of over fifty from the shallow mangrove flats and this let me tell you was far more exciting than casting into a river school rolling on bait. The interesting thing about this tussle was that the Tarp fell to a big bushy mullet fly, which had been pulled to within ten feet of the boat as the nail knot on the leader was halfway up the fly rod. A Mutant Barramundi also came aboard one day he had a hair lip on the right hand side of his mouth and showed no evidence of ever having a set of defensive dorsal spines. He may have been missing a few chromosomes along the way but the fighting gene was definitely still in his DNA.

Beerie

little ones in little streams and big ones in big seas
beerie
View Profile
Posted on 06/12/2009 at 09:41 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Best Barra

beerie
View Profile
Posted on 06/12/2009 at 09:41 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
The Mutant

Big Gav
View Profile
Posted on 08/12/2009 at 03:51 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Come on Beerie, no humility in droping a snuby. You have acheived what alot of people only dream of
Gee those saltwater barra are a great looking fish, well done!

Gavin Davis
Keeping it reel since 1983......

LOOP Pro Team Australia and NZ
Advanced Fly Fishing School Sydney
Master Certified Flyjunkie
Justin D
Administrator
View Profile
Posted on 08/03/2010 at 11:54 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Well done beery, dont worry about the Permit...........I seem to remember something about one when I guided you in Weipa??

Don't swim in a bait ball
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | site by idfk | powered by GraphiteFORUMS™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2019 Sydney Flyfishing Tours