Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Christmas Island
  Page 2 of 6    « First   <   1   2   3   4   5   6   >   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
Peter D
View Profile
Posted on 31/07/2010 at 05:02 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
We typically travelled out to the middle or the far side of the lagoon, then made our way back to base, finishing up on a flat close to home. Saw lots of Manta Rays in the lagoon. On some flats, they would glide right up to you before spooking in a spectacular way

Message edited by Peter D on 31/07/2010 at 05:02 PM
Peter D
View Profile
Posted on 31/07/2010 at 05:12 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Most days we caught in excess of ten fish, with one spectacular afternoon, where we lost count of the number of 3-4 pounders we landed. Hot fishing indeed. The fish seemed to be in three size ranges, very small (< 1lb), which we tried to avoid. 2-3 pound would have been average, but the re were a lot in the 3-5 pound range as well.

We were encouraged not to handle the fish, so most photos were "in the water photos".

Peter D
View Profile
Posted on 31/07/2010 at 05:13 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Although we did take some traditional photos ...

Peter D
View Profile
Posted on 31/07/2010 at 05:19 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
All in all, a great holiday. It was very windy, and we had a lot of cloud which made things difficult, but when the sun came out, the bonefishing was brilliant. If you haven't been there, go and give it a try.

Will put up details about gear and flies later.

Peter

William
View Profile
Posted on 31/07/2010 at 06:23 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Great report Peter I'm more than a bit envious

The highest form of existence is play
Pete W
View Profile
Posted on 01/08/2010 at 10:06 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Beaudy Pete. Well done.

Any trevally of any size caught?

Pete.

Pete W
Peter D
View Profile
Posted on 01/08/2010 at 01:48 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Hi Pete,

We saw some big trevally, but did not hook any. We stated we wanted to fish skinny water for bones, so that is what we mainly did. The American couple stated they wanted to catch GTs too, so spent a bit of time with 12wt in hand looking for them. They managed a couple of medium size trevally for the trip and saw some most days. They mostly fished the dropoffs for them.

I did see a few at the Korean Wreck, with one that was well over a metre long. I put in a good cast from behind and got a follow, but he backed off after a single strip. the guide reckoned he saw the line and that we needed to cast from side on or the front. Probably saved myself a flyline

At one stage, I had a 3lb bone on that came racing back over the dropoff. The guide started trying to give me the 12wt. I had no idea why until I saw the 2 GTs trying to eat my bonefish. Same old story though, by the time you strip enough line to cast, they are gone.

Peter

Message edited by Peter D on 01/08/2010 at 01:50 PM
Peter D
View Profile
Posted on 01/08/2010 at 02:25 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Here is a pic of the flies I used. I am not sure that that the colour of the CI specials made that much difference. Still, once I found a colour / style that worked, I kept using it. My flies were about 50% Orange CI Specials, 20% other colour CIS, 30% Gotchas. Probably used in about that ratio too.

Flies were tied mainly on size 6 S71SSS (or their replacement), with some size 4 and 8 as well.

Big Gav
View Profile
Posted on 01/08/2010 at 08:52 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Great stuff Peter, well done

Gavin Davis
Keeping it reel since 1983......

LOOP Pro Team Australia and NZ
Advanced Fly Fishing School Sydney
Master Certified Flyjunkie
Justin D
Administrator
View Profile
Posted on 02/08/2010 at 07:14 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Nice report mate, wish I'd been there
JD

Don't swim in a bait ball
  Page 2 of 6    « First   <   1   2   3   4   5   6   >   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | site by idfk | powered by GraphiteFORUMS™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2019 Sydney Flyfishing Tours