Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Eucumbene June 2010
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
Pete W
View Profile
Posted on 16/08/2010 at 12:03 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
In late May I spent a long weekend with a couple of mates (Mark and Rob) down on the Eucumbene River. Unfortunately there had not been any significant rain for about three weeks and the fishing was slow with no big spawners caught. We did catch rainbows to 2lbs and even got some on the dry fly up at the Murrumbidgee as it flows into the Tantangara.

A week later there was some significant rainfalls and I ducked down on my own for a days fishing. Fished downstream from Providence Portal and had a great day.

Pete W
Message edited by Pete W on 16/08/2010 at 12:34 PM
Pete W
View Profile
Posted on 16/08/2010 at 12:17 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
I caught about 7 or 8 fish to 3 or 4 lbs. Not the huge 8 to 10 lbers you can get at this time of year - but still great fishing.

Pete W
Pete W
View Profile
Posted on 16/08/2010 at 12:47 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
There had actually been too much rain as the river was running high and fast. It was quite scary to cross. I found one spot to wade across and was limited to one side of the river for the rest of the day.

In these conditions the fish were hugging the bank. A heavy rig was needed to get down to where there were. I used a weighted glow bug with a dropper of a size 8 bead head black nymph. I also had 3 size 'BB' split shot (.4g each) attached ahead of the glow bug.

Pete W
Pete W
View Profile
Posted on 16/08/2010 at 01:09 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
It was tough casting the heavy rig with a 4 weight (a good excuse to get myself a quality 6 weight) but I didn't have to cast far - just about 5 m upstream, close to the bank, keep the rod tip up and stay connected to the fly.

Being a Tuesday it wasn't crowded. There were only 2 others there - experienced fly fishers, one from Canberra, the other from Jindabyne. I seemd to have to best success of the day. Meeting up at days end it appears I had by far the heaviest rig of the 3 of us. Getting down to the fish was paramount.

Great fun.

Cheers,

Pete.

PS : Sorry for submitting this so late. I've had trouble with uploading the photos.

Pete W
Justin D
Administrator
View Profile
Posted on 16/08/2010 at 02:10 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Thanks Pete, nice fish and top report

Don't swim in a bait ball
Big Gav
View Profile
Posted on 16/08/2010 at 03:32 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Good on ya Pete

Gavin Davis
Keeping it reel since 1983......

LOOP Pro Team Australia and NZ
Advanced Fly Fishing School Sydney
Master Certified Flyjunkie
William
View Profile
Posted on 16/08/2010 at 06:32 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Pete W wrote:

PS : Sorry for submitting this so late.

Lovely report - more than worth the wait Pete. I almost wish it was back at the beginning of winter again

The highest form of existence is play
Peter D
View Profile
Posted on 16/08/2010 at 07:52 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Good going Pete. Good to see a spur of the moment trip payoff. Need to do more of it

Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | site by idfk | powered by GraphiteFORUMS™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2019 Sydney Flyfishing Tours