» Spotted ferals in Tas mid Feb
Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Spotted ferals in Tas mid Feb
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
Bluecod
Posted on 26/01/2011 at 05:17 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
The remote control unit has declared we're going to Tassie in mid Feb - so a campervan has been arranged! Whilst day long hikes up slippery, boulder strewn, frozen streams may not be the order of the day, early and late sessions should be plentiful.

Not having been there before, some friendly advice/locations/gear to take would be appreciated.

Waders? Yes/No
Flies for this time of year?
Rod weights?
Locations? Lakes/creeks/Rivers.
Polaroiding?
Locations to avoid?

Thanks in advance

Cheers,

George
William
View Profile
Posted on 27/01/2011 at 04:59 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
George, my answers may not be useful, only been there once in the month of Feb, but here goes:

friendly advice? ..... Cold and snow in February is not unknown - be prepared! Oh, and away from Hobart eat early .... most restaurants close kitchens at 8 pm

Waders? ...... Tiger snakes!!!!

Flies? ...... Your complete collection plus some floating gum beetles, floating snails and hoppers of course!!!!

Rod weights? ...... 6wt plus or minus.

Locations? ..... Ask local - but Arthurs, Bronte and Little Pine were good to me.

Polaroiding? ..... Might be a bit late in the season - but if water levels are rising it may still work.

Locations to avoid? ..... Queenstown

The highest form of existence is play
Bluecod
Posted on 27/01/2011 at 10:07 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Thanks William

So armoured waders get packed ... 1st thing in the bag

The new #6 should be finished this weekend and a #5 for backup will also accompany me

ALL my flies?? - might have to throw the missus' undies out to make room .... or buy some down there

I've heard that about Queenstown unless I'm chasing mercury

Cheers,

George
Lionel
View Profile
Posted on 28/01/2011 at 12:10 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Bluecod wrote:
Thanks William

So armoured waders get packed ... 1st thing in the bag

The new #6 should be finished this weekend and a #5 for backup will also accompany me

ALL my flies?? - might have to throw the missus' undies out to make room .... or buy some down there why?

I've heard that about Queenstown unless I'm chasing mercury

Happiness is a tight loop
Peter D
View Profile
Posted on 28/01/2011 at 10:45 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Hi George,

That sounds great!

I have spent most of my time there in Nov / Dec, but the last trip was the last two weeks in January. February is supposed to be much more stable weather wise, but you need to be prepared to get snow in the central highlands at any time of year. If you are there for a couple of weeks, you can almost count on it

Most of my fishing has been at Little Pine, the 19 lagoons or the Bronte system. If you get some blue sky days, there should still be polaroiding in the 19 lagoons area, even if the wind is pretty strong. Be interested to see how you compare the experience to polaroiding bones

There could also still be duns hatching on little pine too. A couple of years back we had good afternoon hatches in the last week of Jan. It can change year to year. Cloudy days are better for duns. I like fishing dries to them, but have had more success with bigger emerging nymphs.

Also, don't forget the saltwater. There are plenty of fishy spots on the coast.

And the Boags brewery tour in Launceston

Peter

Bluecod
Posted on 28/01/2011 at 11:38 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Peter D wrote:
Be interested to see how you compare the experience to polaroiding bones
Found that in NZ they're too easy and stand out like a dog lying on his back [as soon as you work out that a dark log in the water doesn't move much] Closest comparison is the humble whiting over sand

Thanks for the tips Pete - be in touch.

Cheers,

George
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | site by idfk | powered by GraphiteFORUMS™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2019 Sydney Flyfishing Tours