Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Maronne River, Argentat, France.
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
Pete W
View Profile
Posted on 07/05/2011 at 11:45 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
In March I travelled to Europe for a mix skiing, work and to catch up with family and friends. While in Paris I managed a day of flyfishing in the Maronne River about 5hrs of travel south of Paris.

It was the 16th March and the trout season had just opened. While the start of the season is a good over here, over there the fishing doesn't hot up until about May. However, I caught about 10 fish in the day - all small brown trout and grayling (a new species for me)

Pete W
Pete W
View Profile
Posted on 07/05/2011 at 12:10 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
It was all 'czech nymphing'. A section of the guide's leader set-up was of fluoro mono acting as a strike indicator using a 5 weight outfit - which I thought was too heavy, but did the job.

Beautiful place and a day to remember.

Pete W
Pete W
View Profile
Posted on 07/05/2011 at 12:29 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
The guide was Vincent Beraud and the day was organised by Julien Thomas of exclusivecast.com.au . Julien had done a presentation at the Sydney Flyrodders last year - he was a great help. Others I had contacted said it was too early and not worth doing.

As too be expected in France the food and coffee was top class.

Pete W
Message edited by Pete W on 07/05/2011 at 04:41 PM
Pete W
View Profile
Posted on 07/05/2011 at 12:49 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
I got there from Paris 4 hours by train to Brive la Gaillarde then an hour by taxi (75euros -best option at dusk on a cold rainy day in a strange place) to Argentat - Vincent drove me back.

Vincent was keen for me to fish the Dordogne River for larger fish but after a 20 km drive to his favourite spot I realised I'd dropped my mobile phone back at the Maronne. We found it but it meant spending to whole day on the Maronne - I'm not complaining.

Below is a pic of the Dordogne flowing through Argentat. I'd love to go back and spend more time there.

Pete W
William
View Profile
Posted on 07/05/2011 at 08:33 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Splendid More proof that fly fishing is a great way to really enjoy places. Pete that's all so pretty and cultured and a even new species - thanks for sharing it with us.

The highest form of existence is play
Pommy Matt
Posted on 08/05/2011 at 12:54 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Very nice Pete - I do miss Europe sometimes when I see pictures like that, especially the last one! I bet you ate and drank well on that trip!

Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | site by idfk | powered by GraphiteFORUMS™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2019 Sydney Flyfishing Tours