Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Straddie
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
Chappo
View Profile
Posted on 29/06/2011 at 03:49 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Hi folks
Ruth and I are heading up to the Engonia Races (about 120ks north of Bourke) via Straddie in a couple of weeks time and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a bit of land based swoffing.
As this will be our first time on the island I obviously have no idea (as many of you already know) as to where to start so any pointers will be a great help.
Thanks in advance

Rob

Is that a fish in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
Bickers
Posted on 30/06/2011 at 06:56 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Rob

I was up in Straddie this time last year for a couple of days. Unfortunately while I was there it blew very strongly making flyfishing difficult. In frustration I resorted to spinning off the rocks (happy to PM you details of where) and had a great morning catching trevally. The current really whips past the rocks on the NE corner of the island - so picking the right tides is important.

Cheers Anthony

Peter D
View Profile
Posted on 30/06/2011 at 09:36 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Hi Rob,

I went there a couple of times a long time ago. Took the spin rod. First time in May, there were loads of kings and other surface fish around. Rocks at Point Lookout are definitely fishable with a fly rod, depending on the wind direction. I had a couple of great days on the kings in between surf sessions.

Second time was in October. Not many fish at all. A few small tuna around, but I did not catch any. Tiny surf too, but clean and fun.

Other than the rocks at Point Lookout, you are probably going to be fishing the beach for the usual species. Not sure if there are flats on the Moreton Bay side.

Chappo
View Profile
Posted on 02/07/2011 at 03:22 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Thanks for the replies guys,
I'm looking forward to a few days just hanging out and fishing, it's been a while since I last did it so it will be great whatever the weather
I'll post a few pics and words on our return.

Rob

Chappo
View Profile
Posted on 22/07/2011 at 05:10 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
We returned to Sunny Sydney last Sunday and as always the trip was way too short!
Straddie is a great place for a visit with heaps to see and do ie: watch the seemingly endless parade of whales, plenty of opportunities for fishing off the rocks and the beaches, 4w driving along the beaches that have heaps of camping areas just in behind the dunes and dining on some of the freshest sea food available anywhere.
I didn't get that many opportunities to fish with most of my time spent exploring the island, however I did spend a very plesant late afternoon session casting chromies off the rocks just around the corner from Cylinders Beach, no fish but nice just to hang out.
Here are a few pics.
Enjoy

Rob

Chappo
View Profile
Posted on 22/07/2011 at 05:15 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Must be the Pandanus capitol of the universe

Chappo
View Profile
Posted on 22/07/2011 at 06:04 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Big Bird on main beach

Chappo
View Profile
Posted on 22/07/2011 at 06:08 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Couple of locals

Chappo
View Profile
Posted on 22/07/2011 at 06:11 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Sea Eagle on the wing

Chappo
View Profile
Posted on 22/07/2011 at 06:17 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Seriously big Raptor, this guy has a wing span of two mtrs plus and the mullet was a kilo plus and he was not scared at all

Chappo
View Profile
Posted on 22/07/2011 at 06:25 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Oh did I mention the surf cranks .
This day was 5' and three guys just got out of the water leaving the line up empty, haven't seen that in Sydney for the last 30 years or so

Rob

Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | site by idfk | powered by GraphiteFORUMS™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2019 Sydney Flyfishing Tours