Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Trailer corrosion protection
  Page 1 of 2    « First   1   2   >   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
William
View Profile
Posted on 30/05/2012 at 05:03 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Does anyone here know what the best products are to spray on a galv trailer to prevent / slow down corrosion?

I'm planning on buying a new trailer and would like to get some extra protection on it before its first salty dunking.

The highest form of existence is play
Bluecod
Posted on 30/05/2012 at 06:34 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Two things

Sacrificial zinc anodes for the trailer

Grease

An old mate of mine, now retired in Qld, coated his trailer 30 years ago with clean engine oil and regularly sprayed it with Inox - there is not a scarrick of rust on it

Cheers,

George
William
View Profile
Posted on 30/05/2012 at 06:40 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Thanks George, somehow I knew you'd come through with the good oil

outtacontrol445
View Profile
Posted on 02/06/2012 at 09:28 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
William,
I went through the same thing with a new trailer 2 years ago - I ended up buying a 4lt tin of TECTYL 506 and painting the whole trailer with it, let it dry for a week and then gave it a second coat. I did this from new before the trailer saw salt water.
I live in the tropics and fish 4 days a week so it gets a pretty hard life and so far their isnt a spot of rust on it!
The only down side it it turns the trailer an off yellow colour...

D.

Their are only 2 types of fish, Permit, and everything else.
Martin Fortmann
View Profile
Posted on 14/06/2012 at 11:32 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
What about the inside of the trailer tubing?

Easy to paint/apply stuff to the outside but the inside is going to get just as wet right?

I guess preventing rust on half the surface is better than nothing!

Message edited by Martin Fortmann on 14/06/2012 at 11:32 AM
stuartt
View Profile
Posted on 14/06/2012 at 11:43 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Either make sure that all holes are sealed, or have a big hole the water can easily get out. Being able to to put the hose up to flush the salt out is good too. The idea being that salty water lying inside the frame will cause problems.

Stuart
<'))))><
Martin Fortmann
View Profile
Posted on 14/06/2012 at 12:43 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
stuartt wrote:
Either make sure that all holes are sealed, or have a big hole the water can easily get out. Being able to to put the hose up to flush the salt out is good too. The idea being that salty water lying inside the frame will cause problems.

Yeah, flushing a trailer is good but we all know that it still corrodes. Annecdotal evidence suggests that spraying Salt Away does a much better job than water alone. Only it's expensive and the spray applicator is crap and keeps breaking!!

That's the idea of using a protector but if you can't get it inside the tubing it'll corrode but you won't see it. I guess what you can't see can't hurt, right ?

John
View Profile
Posted on 24/06/2012 at 12:35 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
William, have a look at the I-beam steel trailers from Mackay, or an aluminium one. No way would I buy a trailer made from tubular steel, just corrosion waiting to happen. I have an old C-beam trailer. Probably over twenty years old now and I can get a coat of fish oil on all surfaces (do it twice a year). I am also pretty careful not to go over the axel when launching.

John

John A
queenfish11
View Profile
Posted on 26/08/2012 at 03:04 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
The best way is not to dip the boat in water, if possible.
3 years ago bought a new trailer now i only go the depth of the tyres in the water, don't have one spot of rust on it yet, but my boat is light alaminium.

cheers vince.
SEQFFC

If there is no fly fishing in heaven I am not going
William
View Profile
Posted on 27/02/2013 at 11:30 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Hi james103 - thanks for your ideas - and welcome

TH
Posted on 07/11/2013 at 01:46 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
William, what trailer did you go with? My dunbier supa rolla 5.3m frame is at the end of its life.

Tim

Page 1 of 2    « First   1   2   >   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | site by idfk | powered by GraphiteFORUMS™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2019 Sydney Flyfishing Tours