Username:
Password:
Remember Me

How much line do you keep in the air?
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
Peter D
View Profile
Posted on 21/10/2008 at 07:37 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Spent some time practising my casting on the weekend, trying to get some extra distance. I'd like to be able to consistently cast 80-90 feet without thinking about it too much. When trying to cast longer distances, do you aerialize more line when false casting, or just shoot more. How much line do you false cast versus shoot in a 90 foot cast (assuming no wind)?

queenfish11
View Profile
Posted on 22/10/2008 at 11:08 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Peter
I don't earialize much at all, other wise I stuff up my casting, I only have two back cast then shoot, maybe around 50ft of line in the air, my best cast wouldn't pass 75ft.

cheers vince.
SEQFFC

If there is no fly fishing in heaven I am not going
Big Gav
View Profile
Posted on 22/10/2008 at 12:29 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Quote:
I only have two back cast then shoot

Thats it Vince
Back shoot, forward shoot, back shoot, forward and let it go-
I'm just starting to get my head around it, sometimes your mind tells you that you need one more false cast, but dont lissen- you'll be surprised at how far you can cast when you just let it go on that second cast

I'm not exactly shore how much line you need in the air, but I would guess around 40-50 feet to shoot the rest?

Gavin Davis
Keeping it reel since 1983......

LOOP Pro Team Australia and NZ
Advanced Fly Fishing School Sydney
Master Certified Flyjunkie
Peter D
View Profile
Posted on 22/10/2008 at 01:32 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
I suspect that when I try for extra distance, I shoo too much line on the last false cast and then the whole lot collapses, still getting only 75', but now with extra slack

beerie
View Profile
Posted on 22/10/2008 at 07:13 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Hi Peter,

What Big Gav has said is exactly how JD and Morsie showed everyone to use Shooting Heads for distance at the casting days at Penrith. If you are on a boat a stripping bucket / waist basket on land, is a great help, for line managment. How many and how long? Two backcasts and launch with a bit over thirty to fourty feet of line out. The ideal length would probablely the length of the lines head/ front taper bit befor the running line. Some lines are not designed for long casting and do not like to be fully airialized and there for they collapse.

Spending time with JD on a one on one basis can change everything and is worthwhile.

Hope this helps Peter
Long Casts

Beerie

little ones in little streams and big ones in big seas
Bluecod
Posted on 22/10/2008 at 09:30 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
One thing that really stuck from the Penrith lesson was to get those loops really tight, particularly on the back cast, before shooting ..... although I'm still reeling from JD's comment that I should always cast on my backhand

Cheers,

George
Peter D
View Profile
Posted on 22/10/2008 at 10:30 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Thanks guys. It all makes sense. Need to get more practice to try some different things out.

Get out with Justin one day too, but Penrith is a long way for me.

Peter Morse
Posted on 21/11/2008 at 09:26 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Peter Like anything, its not that simple and there's a couple of variables that need to be considered. Apart from your own casting ability the length of the head is a really critical factor. A short and chunky head like a shooting head or the Rio Outbound short or even a bass taper cannot support a lot of the running line in the air. On the other hand a line with a long head that incorporates a long back taper (like the SA XXD or ED) is very stable in the air. The Downunder line was also like that as well, a lot of guys struggled with it earlier on because they couldn't figure out how much line to hold in the air. The choice between using a short head and shooting a lot of line or using a longer head and aerialising more line is what you have to deal with. In the extreme distance 5 weight events the better casters are aerialising between 80 and 90 feet of line, now you really want all your ducks and drakes lined up to be able to do that.

Loop shape and control is the most important thing to focus on and it takes a long time and very good technique to build up to those sorts of numbers. Tracking is the key - the straight line path of the tip of the rod - once it wobbles its all over.

Morsie

Morsie

Just walk around that **Moderated**.
stuartt
View Profile
Posted on 21/11/2008 at 09:35 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Quote:
once it wobbles its all over

Gee, I've heard the before

Stuart
<'))))><
Bluecod
Posted on 21/11/2008 at 03:41 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
stuartt wrote:
Quote:
once it wobbles its all over

Gee, I've heard the before

Well said Stuartt

Cheers,

George
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | site by idfk | powered by GraphiteFORUMS™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2019 Sydney Flyfishing Tours