» Waxing whymsically
Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Waxing whymsically
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
Bluecod
Posted on 04/04/2010 at 05:44 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Sitting on the back patio with a glass or two of 2001 Temple Bruer Cabernet Sauvignon Malbec as the sun sets over Sydney during a break in the weather and watching the final rays of the sun highlight a blood red Qantas jet on its final approach to Kingsford Smith against a backdrop of strato cirrus cloud, I got to musing a few things;

1. casting practise - now there's nothing much else to match being out on a rolling platform casting to a crazed school of salmon feeding on a huge ball of whitebait with your companion already tight to a good fish, however without that luxury, the odd half hour spent backcasting an orange ball of fluff through a 15' gap between your neighbours trees and forwards out over the side fence avoiding pedestrian traffic, isn't too bad a way to spend a lazy Easter Sunday afternoon. It gives one a chance to pull out the #8, the #5 and the cane to hone the timing and to sort out a few practical issues with a looming foray into the lake whiting and a possible shot at those high country troot.

2. Life is good when you live in a place with so may varied options a half days drive away.

3. What is the alcohol content of that wine ??? ;.... and its about time to refill the glass, pack the pipe, put on a sweatshirt and get back onto the patio to view the darkening sky.

Happy Easter to all

Cheers,

George
William
View Profile
Posted on 04/04/2010 at 10:22 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
George that's such a nice atmospheric post Happy Easter to you too.

The highest form of existence is play
beerie
View Profile
Posted on 04/04/2010 at 10:33 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
George,

Happy Easter.

Sounds like it is pritty strong stuff after the amount of padding / dribble you have packed this post with so far.

Getting back to what you should be concentrating on while practicing, (without toooooo much dribble).

The answer is TRACKING, Tracking, tracking and the SLP (Straight Line Path). Got that line from a very smart man with a pointy white beard.

Narrow the gaps down and pick say one tree on both the back and forward casts that are in a straight line, aim for those trees only. It is very important to watch the backcast as well as the forward cast and on both casts wait untill the flyline, leader and the bit of fluff have turned over before starting the next stroke.

Here are a couple of shots of Big Gav casting to his first river wading trout on Fly in the Fysh River and he was casting a Dry Fly to a rise which really got his socks off. Look carefully at the orange fly line. Nice tight loop and then a fully straightened line all the way back to the fly.

Beerie

Ps. BTW We are both casting NERDS!

little ones in little streams and big ones in big seas
Message edited by beerie on 04/04/2010 at 10:50 PM
beerie
View Profile
Posted on 04/04/2010 at 10:37 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Tight loop, then wait for everything to turn over and come forward.

little ones in little streams and big ones in big seas
Bluecod
Posted on 05/04/2010 at 09:58 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
It was either that gentleman with the pointy beard or the host of this site that once advised me to always cast on my backhand side.

The backcast has no problem, however in my desire to get it out on the forward cast apparently I am too eager and tend to overpower the start of the forward cast; hence things come unstuck. Often a sit down with some self diagnosis sorts the issue and is the legacy of a few lessons - perhaps some more are warranted this winter to ensure I am on the right track.

I find the bamboo, although easier to cast, tends to slow my expectations down and after a session on the cane everything comes together when casting the graphite.

Cheers,

George
Sam
View Profile
Posted on 12/04/2010 at 03:57 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Easter Monday Foster beach Scotts Head 6 ks of beach gutters and pools for one small Trevally

Much easier to cast without trees

The gods do not deduct from man's alloted span the hours spent fishing
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | site by idfk | powered by GraphiteFORUMS™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2019 Sydney Flyfishing Tours