» ???
Username:
Password:
Remember Me

???
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
dpack
Posted on 15/10/2011 at 04:31 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
What make knots form in the line that I strip onto the floor.

Is it line twist? Whats the remedy?

Do I need to run it all out straight behind the boat and start again?

Made for some frantic moments this morning. Lucky my guides are all still intact.

Dave

Big Gav
View Profile
Posted on 15/10/2011 at 05:45 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
I'm deffinately an expert on this subject
Being lazy is my first down fall- Stretching the line before you use it usually solves most problems, just run your line out behind the boat ( with no fly so it dosnt twist ) when you first leave the ramp in the morning will do the job. I know this works, but for some reason I always think my line will be ok

Keeping the line slick- sometime an old line will catch on it's self and tangle when shooting. If you keep it slick, the line will slip over it's self and not stick.

Try to shoot all the line you have off the reel every cast. If you have to much line stripped off and you dont cast the whole amount every cast the line will twist and contribute to tangles. Casting the line tight to the spool each cast will stop the twist.

My favourite..... Strip the first couple of strips infront of you, then strip the rest on a pile by your side. If you just strip it on 1 pile straight away, when you begin your next cast, usually you end up pulling a few coils of line from the bottom of the pile with your reel when casting ( the end of line att. to the reel ) and this will stuff up the rest of the coils in you pile causing all sorts of probs.

Last- If pain still persists, use a stripping bucket or stripping matt

Gavin Davis
Keeping it reel since 1983......

LOOP Pro Team Australia and NZ
Advanced Fly Fishing School Sydney
Master Certified Flyjunkie
dpack
Posted on 15/10/2011 at 05:53 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Thanks Gav,

I'm new to this and your words make sense to me.

I did leave line on the deck for extended periods and have never ever stretched it.

I wondered if it was to do with my dodgy casting technique but sounds like a bit of line management is order.

I'm enjoying the new challenge. I was bored of Salmon until now.

Thanks

Dave

Justin D
Administrator
View Profile
Posted on 04/11/2011 at 07:32 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Gavs nailed it, couple of other things. If you do oval casts they are great line tanglers, also poppers and flies that spin can be notorious so consider a small very strong swivel and clip to your fly

Don't swim in a bait ball
TH
Posted on 16/11/2011 at 04:30 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
If you haven't followed the above advice then another tip that sometimes works when you are hooked up and are losing line fast and have line everywhere is to step back from the mess (if you can without going overboard) and tilt the reel sideways or upside down. For some reason it helps the line flow out better.

Tim
My kids call me timmy tangles

Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | site by idfk | powered by GraphiteFORUMS™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2019 Sydney Flyfishing Tours