» Tailing Loops
Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Tailing Loops
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
Bluecod
Posted on 19/05/2012 at 08:45 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
If anyone's seen me cast, they'll know that I've been plagued by the tailing loop syndrome. Admittedly it's not as severe now as it once was, but when buck fever takes over I can guarantee the first cast will end with the fly catching the end of the fly line, ruining the first shot at a decent fish ..... perhaps the only one seen all day.

I've picked up a few tips along the way ... including Justin's classic "Hey George! me and Morsie reckon you should cast backwards all the time" indicating that my backcast isn't too bad ... I just regularly f*#k up my forecast.

Over the past month or two in preparation for an extended CI trip, I've been practising hard to eliminate the tailing loop and going back to basics, starting with short [bugger all line out of the tip] to medium distance [around 40' of line out] and casting at various speeds ... slow, medium and fast ..... with and without single and double hauls thrown in.

The other day I changed the seriously knotted leader with some new material I had recently puchased - Rio Hard Mono . It made a huge difference - sure the trailing piece of wool still had the wobbles from time to time, but it wasn't dropping below the leading line all that often.

Second discovery - my son came over to chat whilst I was casting with about 30' of line out, and rather than stop what I was doing I just kept the rod pointing back and forth and essentially only applying power with the haul. After a minute or so, what I noticed was that none of the casts had a tailing loop - neither fore or backhand!

That night I got on-line, as you do, and came across this quote from Galah on Flylife "Even when you're casting a huge amount of line, the power is coming from the load in the rod, and from your line-haul, not so much smashing your rod arm back and forth. I know when I have my double-haul cranking, because it feels like I'm casting with the haul, not the rod, virtually just "pointing the rod in the right direction" with my rod hand and powering the line with the haul (of course thatís not quite reality, but it sort-of feels a bit like that)."

The next morning I was back in the yard trying it out ... Yep worked a treat to 40' so I pulled another 20' of line off the reel so I could shoot it out over the fence onto the road, got the cast working nice and easy, then powered into the forward cast to shoot the line.

Well it barely went past the fence, and that bit that did was real ugly. Pulled it back in and tried again, this time with far less oooompffff ......

Sure, I'm still going to get tailing loops, that's a part of my mental makeup where I'll try and rush things, and I'm resigned to that, but I think I may have finally learnt a few more things that others with the same issue could benefit from

1. take a valium or two before casting to relax, both mentally and physically
2. power off ..... less = more
3. if you've two arms, use them both
4. get your whole body into an easy rhythm
5. watch the fly to see what it is doing so you can make small corrections to the cast
6. use decent leader material - and not just the stuff you've pulled off a spinning reel

Here endeth the sermon for today ... now off to the physio to have some work done on a rotator cuff issue

Cheers,

George
Message edited by Bluecod on 19/05/2012 at 08:50 AM
Big Gav
View Profile
Posted on 19/05/2012 at 10:51 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Its great when you have those epiphanies George.
Another exercise I find that works for me is instead of trying to make a cast with alot of power to get the leader to turn over. Do the opposite, Try to make a cast with minimal power/line speed so the last part of the flyline/leader callapses.
This mite sound like a pretty basic thing, but it's not as easy as it sounds and its amazing how much power/ line speed you can take out and the leader just keeps straightening!!!!!

Gavin Davis
Keeping it reel since 1983......

LOOP Pro Team Australia and NZ
Advanced Fly Fishing School Sydney
Master Certified Flyjunkie
Bluecod
Posted on 19/05/2012 at 11:40 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Gav,

I'm actually surprised at how little effort it takes - just spent the last 15 minutes out the back, and for the first few minutes I started out with the little double hauls to get the feel of the power applied through the rod tip - I then dropped them out of the routine and just continued with the one hand cast, applying a touch of acceleration/power/stop at the same time as if I was double hauling.

Absolutely flabbergasted this little routine has made to the difference of my forecast in just a couple of quick sessions

Cheers,

George
Message edited by Bluecod on 19/05/2012 at 11:41 AM
William
View Profile
Posted on 30/05/2012 at 05:57 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Big Gav wrote:
Another exercise I find that works for me is instead of trying to make a cast with alot of power to get the leader to turn over. Do the opposite, Try to make a cast with minimal power/line speed so the last part of the flyline/leader callapses.

One of the guides on CXI showed me something not dissimilar this too when I was trying in vain to belt casts into the wind with all the power I could muster. He took my rod and made gentle low sweep with a late flick of the wrist - easily penetrated the wind and turned over the fly.

The highest form of existence is play
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | site by idfk | powered by GraphiteFORUMS™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2019 Sydney Flyfishing Tours