» Learning the art
Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Learning the art
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
FLYJC93
Posted on 14/07/2012 at 06:10 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
How's it going guys,

My names Jake and i'm new to the art of fly fishing. Just bought myself a daiwa sylph 5# fly combo to learn with... Looking for advice about which species would be best to start of chasing by either boat, yak or land based ?

All information will be greatly appreciated !

Cheers,
Jake

William
View Profile
Posted on 14/07/2012 at 06:55 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Welcome Jake
What locations do you yak and fish land based?

You can target flatties much as you would with spin gear - fish the edge of shallow flats dropping into deeper water on the run out tide.

Bream around structure.

This time of year with a bit of berley and a sinking flyline can usually see a few silver trevally hit the fly.

Luderick in the washes on weedfly.

Mullet on breadfly.

Bass a little later on when the weather warms up.

The highest form of existence is play
FLYJC93
Posted on 14/07/2012 at 07:05 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
William, Thank you for the helpful advice. I mainly fish the nepean river and sydney harbour. ┴lthough i only target pelagics in the harbour, i'm not looking at diving into the deep end and fishing for pelagics on fly. ═ just want to get out and perfect my style with some easier species then move up to the salmon, bonnies & kings. What size flys are good for small estuary fish and can you use a fly for both fresh and salt water ?
I'm going to lake lyell in a few weekends time and going to build up my arsenal of flys !

William
View Profile
Posted on 14/07/2012 at 09:24 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
FLYJC93 wrote:
What size flys are good for small estuary fish and can you use a fly for both fresh and salt water ?

Are you buying or tying your own Jake?

Something like an Olive Salty BMS in size 6 would work on many estuary species and also trout and bass and EPs at times.

For flatties you will generally need something a bit bigger and heavier to get down off a floating line - like a White or Chatreuse Clouser - which have an appealing jigging action. On the 5wt it will be hard to cast them much bigger than say size 2. These might also work in freshwater but my first choice at somewhere like Lyell would be a Black or Olive Wooly Bugger size 8.

And a great way to fish places like Lyell and even better TCD (which is not that much further to drive than Lyell) is to suspend a Gold Bead Head Nypmph in Black/Brown/Olive size 12 about a rod length under a floating indicator. Just on the edge of drop offs into deeper water - be patient it's a bit like fishing for luderick with a float

The highest form of existence is play
Bluecod
Posted on 16/07/2012 at 05:40 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
FLYJC93 wrote:
═ just want to get out and perfect my style with some easier species

Give Justin a call to get your casting going in the right direction .... even if you're a moderately capable caster it's a few bucks very well spent, and if you're only just starting to learn to cast, it will probably be the best $ you'll spend flyfishing.

Cheers,

George
FLYJC93
Posted on 17/07/2012 at 07:19 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
William, I'm buying my flys from bass angler in penrith. They have put me onto some of their own flys they tied themselves and use for the local native species. I might be fishing this weekend but unsure of what species are good during winter on fly..

George, i will looking into getting lessons soon if I can come up with the money. Apprentice wage doesn't pay much

Cheers,
Jake

Big Gav
View Profile
Posted on 16/08/2012 at 08:59 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
If your out west Jake Carp are a great option on fly. A 5wt would be perfect and trout flys like wooly buggers and glow bugs work great. Penrith lakes is a good start, or yarramundi,
Cheers Gav

Gavin Davis
Keeping it reel since 1983......

LOOP Pro Team Australia and NZ
Advanced Fly Fishing School Sydney
Master Certified Flyjunkie
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | site by idfk | powered by GraphiteFORUMS™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2019 Sydney Flyfishing Tours