Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Tapering leaders
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
Lionel
View Profile
Posted on 08/12/2013 at 12:55 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
What is better, tapering by line diameters or breaking strain?

Happiness is a tight loop
Bluecod
Posted on 08/12/2013 at 07:57 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Wouldn't that depend on the flexibility, or otherwise, of the material being used ?

Cheers,

George
Lionel
View Profile
Posted on 08/12/2013 at 08:22 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Here you go George, I'm thinking of 3' .40mm jinkai 10 kg + 3' .35mm 10kg Schnieder + 2' .28mm 5kg Schnieder tippet.

Happiness is a tight loop
Bluecod
Posted on 08/12/2013 at 10:18 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Lonk, I'll leave it to the experts as I mostly use tapered leaders these days ... but which Jinkai? Soft or hard ?

Cheers,

George
William
View Profile
Posted on 08/12/2013 at 10:29 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
I think people worry too much about tapered leaders

Turning over dry flies delicately and accurately on 5X yes, it's a big issue. Turning over a eye fly or a small gummy is certainly helped by some taper in the leader - good stable loops probably play a bigger role. But when you are chucking wind resistant flies like crease fly, or weighted flies like a clouser, the taper becomes almost irrelevant - turnover will be dictated by line speed and wind (and loop control).

With large wind resistant bass flies being splatted into tight snaggy situations you want a stiff short leader. I would probably go with a longish butt section of 15kg (perhaps even 20kg), mid section of 10kg, and tippet of 5kg. Total length around 7ft, all with the stiffest mono I can find.

I tend to avoid large wind resistant flies

The highest form of existence is play
Justin D
Administrator
View Profile
Posted on 20/12/2013 at 12:12 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
I like a 50% butt length…..ie 8ft leader equals 4 foot butt. I also like the rule of 5th's for my butt sections. Times your rod weight by 5 and you get your butt breaking strain approximately. 8 weight is a 40 lb butt a ten weight is 50lb butt etc
Use only supple mono for the butt such as jinkai or berkley big game.

Don't swim in a bait ball
William
View Profile
Posted on 20/12/2013 at 01:44 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Justin what's the thinking behind supple mono?

I can see maybe less coiling and easier to knot?

For butt I've been using Seaguar fluro or just plain Maxima or Schnieder mono - all fairly stiff because I'm thinking it will transfer energy better. I'll try something more supple and see how it goes.

Justin D
Administrator
View Profile
Posted on 19/01/2014 at 10:09 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Stiff mono doesn't tie good nail knots but more importantly doesn't transfer energy well. Try a line that feels more like the flyline than wire, jinkai and moi moi are great

Don't swim in a bait ball
Message edited by Justin D on 19/01/2014 at 10:09 PM
iki jimmy
View Profile
Posted on 20/01/2014 at 11:14 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
diameter, thats what the tapering is about heavier line turning over lighter line

Big Gav
View Profile
Posted on 23/01/2014 at 09:39 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
iki jimmy wrote:
diameter, thats what the tapering is about heavier line turning over lighter line

Your the man Jimmy

Gavin Davis
Keeping it reel since 1983......

LOOP Pro Team Australia and NZ
Advanced Fly Fishing School Sydney
Master Certified Flyjunkie
William
View Profile
Posted on 20/01/2016 at 12:20 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Just to add to the debate - here are some comments in relation to the contribution of the property of stiffness and of diameter:

"A leader that is made from stiff material will transmit more energy than a leader made from soft pliable material. Large diameter material will hold more energy than small diameter material."

http://www.flyfishusa.com/tackle-tips/leaders/about-leaders.html

Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | site by idfk | powered by GraphiteFORUMS™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2019 Sydney Flyfishing Tours