Fill in the form below to resend the Password
Username:
Email:

Q bond
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
iki jimmy
View Profile
Posted on 28/01/2016 at 01:27 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
you may recall, the mower man doing the nature strip broke my transducer. so finally I bought some of this "q bond' to glue my transducer/ skimmer back together -- it was broken at the neck between where it goes on the bracket and the fat part lol only 150 for new skimmer but a 2-3 hundred to get it run under the floor with the rest of the cables, they all have to some out to get the new cord through, so its a long job and something im not keen to do, ive tried and gave up pretty quick. see pic attached, there is a little of the glue on its own thats gone white where it over flowed from the powder, but you can see the rough looking black stuff around the neck there, that's the weld bit over the join

this q bond comes with two types of powder one plastic carbon and the other is an alloy dust.
the glue itself looks similar to super glue, seemed a bit stronger so the idea is glue the parts together , hold for 10-15 secs , then you add the powder into the crack / join then drip some glue on it , instantly bonds and goes rock hard, then you just keep doing that around the join like a weld (you can sand it or file it almost immediately)
i wasn't expecting such a good result, i cant believe how strong its turned out. my bet is the fitting/ screws will rip from the hull before it breaks at the same place.
i dont know why i waited so long to try this stuff, i was tipped about it last feb and been too lazy or maybe too pessimistic to even try it before now. i got it at repco , make sure you get the one with the powders, its about $40 .., think ebay has it cheaper too
i have plenty left, so if you have a little similar fix im happy to lend you mine

cheers
gm

Message edited by iki jimmy on 28/01/2016 at 01:28 PM
TH
Posted on 30/01/2016 at 11:03 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Great fix Grant, I must get some of that. Most of our repairs are fibreglass and epoxy surfboard repairs but hard plastic is always a mongrel to fix.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers Tim

Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | site by idfk | powered by GraphiteFORUMS™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2019 Sydney Flyfishing Tours