Username:
Password:
Remember Me

I've been chasing the Luds lately
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
William
View Profile
Posted on 25/06/2020 at 08:20 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Got good fish most sessions lower Harbour locations - this one a good 44cm model on the 2wt

The highest form of existence is play
Message edited by William on 25/06/2020 at 08:24 PM
Micko
Posted on 28/08/2020 at 10:36 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Thatís a great Luderick on the fly William.
How do you manage the fly line in the washes though? Stripping basket or coil the line in the hand?
Iím very interested in your setup and methods.
Mick

William
View Profile
Posted on 29/08/2020 at 11:14 AM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Micko wrote:

How do you manage the fly line in the washes though? Stripping basket or coil the line in the hand?

Mick most of the good land based spots in sheltered waters have fish feeding close into the rocks or structure so you don't need to manage huge amounts of line. Two or three large coils in the hand plus what you can mend and aerialize out of the tip is usually plenty. A stripping basket can be useful but in most spots it's just not essential. A bit of surge or tidal movement is always good so frequent repositioning of the line is necessary. A bright buoyant indicator helps keep track of what's going on and when to recast. Strike at the smallest movement. A small bit of weight in the fly and long fluorocarbon leader helps it get back to feeding depth quite quickly. If the water is very still you can use an unweighted fly with fluorocarbon leader for a more natural presentation.

Ocean rocks with much more turbulence can be a bigger challenge. Adding custom sink tips (1 or 2 m T14 or bits of old fast sink line with loop connections) plus a shorter fluorocarbon leader and weighted fly gets to feeding depth quickly. Select a wash where water drains off the ledge - this is where the luds normally feed anyway and the draining wash helps keep the line away from the rocks. No strike indicator is needed in this situation - you'll just find yourself suddenly well connected to a fish Obviously when a big wave rolls in you can snatch the line into the air and just put it straight back out over the back of the wave to avoid having your fly and leader wrapped into the cunjevoi and barnacles. Occasionally I've used a double handed outfit about 11'6" off ocean ledges and that makes line management and quick recasting much easier. But even then fishing close to the rocks is more productive than casting further.

The highest form of existence is play
  Page 1 of 1    « First   1   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | PLSforums™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2021 Sydney Flyfishing Tours