Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Carping on
  Page 2 of 2    « First   <   1   2   Last » 
USERMESSAGE
Lionel
View Profile
Posted on 30/05/2005 at 12:20 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Walkin the dog this morning along one of the local creeks, came across one of the regular pools along the way. The pool was nice and clear, managed to sight 6 carp in there of 2-3 kg each. they were patrolling around until they spotted me with the dog and meandered back into thier "snag" which was a shopping trolley . walked the dog further on and returned later to the same pool. The carp were back on the patrol and looked like they needed a feed of a few flies.

Legged it home, quickly spun up some wooly buggers along with some other buggy looking ooglies and returned armed with the 4w.

Now this pool isn't in the Pristine Condition of what we are used too, but a fish is a fish and it is a 5 min walk from my house(can do it in waders )

The carp are very easily spooked and went straight back into their "snag" despite all my efforts of trying to sneak up on them. So a fly sunk down the open end of the "snag" got bumped a couple of times(sight fished) but no takers. The public footpath winds off to one side i recieved a couple of strange looks from the walkers, still carried on regardless to no avail.

Will return later this evening when it's a little darker one evening and let you know what happens.

Happiness is a tight loop
Message edited by Lionel on 30/05/2005 at 12:23 PM
Lowy
View Profile
Posted on 30/05/2005 at 12:39 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
William,
Keepit would have to be the "premier carp impoundment"... not that that should be a claim to fame. You regularly see plenty of fish up to 20lb (and occasionally larger) there. The best way to fish it is to take your boat and drive around until you find a "flat" with fish visibly working on it. We've found that shallow flats not only give the best sight fishing but the fish also go harder in an attempt to hit deeper water. Once we've found the fish we usually get out and walk/wade. Last time I fished there a mate and I had a bit of a competition and managed to nail close to 20 fish in the space of a couple of hours.

The rivers provide a bit more of a "troutie" experience. Not as many shots but they are still big. Streamcraft really comes into play as these fish tend to be far more spooky (as Lonk has pointed out above). Plenty of situations as you described earlier; sightfishing big carp in fast, clear water.

If you're ever heading through, let me know.

Lowy

Message edited by Lowy on 30/05/2005 at 12:45 PM
William
View Profile
Posted on 30/05/2005 at 01:28 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Thanks for the info Lowy.

GO Lionel GO - opening up a new Sydney frontier - backyard carping

Cheers
William

The highest form of existence is play
DavidW
View Profile
Posted on 30/05/2005 at 02:22 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
William,

Does it fish okay for carp through winter?

It's an all year round option. just need to judge the wind. Cold southrlies are hell. That one was an August fish caught by one of the club members and his first on fly.

The pic above has a boat peaking into it - can you access the right sort of water / flats on foot?

You can wlak the banks and sight cast to them on the right day (sun, wind etc etc) or you can launch a boat and fish that way. I prefer the sight casting option myself.

Can you point me to any particular area of the Lake - I'll be turning up at the front gate like a tourist with no idea where to start.

Go through the front gate and over towards the boat ramp. I'd then start walking away from the boat ramp and fish a few of the bays. I usually take the boat and motor across the dam and then walk the banks.... less people fishing.

I don't feel like towing my boat there but I do have a float boat - do you think it would be useful there?

Float tube would be o.k....but the wind may play havoc with you!

Hope that helps......

DavidW

Hooroo
William
View Profile
Posted on 30/05/2005 at 06:18 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
David thanks for your comprehensive answers - it's great not to have to find all this stuff out myself by trial and error.

Cheers
William

The highest form of existence is play
Lionel
View Profile
Posted on 30/05/2005 at 08:53 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Went back to the pool later this evening with the 4w, watched the fish work a beat aroung the shallow fringes. To get a good cast in i had to climb down a small wall, in doing so I managed to spook the carp back into that "snag " .

So threw a wolloy bugger in front of the "snag" and popped the tippe t on a low lying log.

Attached a shrimp style fly and lobbed it in the front of the snag giving it a small twitch as it sank down past thier faces WHAM out shot a head and straight back into the Snag with fly, tippet going PING in very quick succession.

I think i'll bring the 9w out and horse those fish out of there!

David thanks for the right mail on Keepit.

Happiness is a tight loop
Message edited by Lionel on 30/05/2005 at 09:14 PM
Justin D
Administrator
View Profile
Posted on 31/05/2005 at 08:53 PM.Send to a friend Send a Private Message View Profile Quote this User
Hi Guy's,
William, the Castlereagh spot is great walking. Just a bit of shallow wading involved. The water is actually clear but the carp are huge.
I filmed with ET on lake Keepit a few years ago and have fished it a fair bit. If you see a carp (most times) and get a fly in it's face then your almost always on. Can be hard to see them some days and they are everywhere the next. Wooly worms were my pick. Got 20 fish in a short time one day as they sucked on the surface (used a wooly worm and floatant). The smell in my boat took weeks to go, I hate the smell of carp < barf

Don't swim in a bait ball
  Page 2 of 2    « First   <   1   2   Last » 

You need to be logged in to Post a Reply

home | contact us | PLSforums™ v4.5 linux | terms & conditions of use | © 2022 Sydney Flyfishing Tours